Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/sandford/public_html/wp-content/themes/hybrid/library/functions/core.php on line 27
News

2107 AGM

Sandford Station Railway Heritage Centre

Thursday 27 April, 7.30pm

Community Centre, Winscombe, BS25 1JA

AGM and Talk

Steaming Along the Strawberry Line’

1950’s Archive footage of the operational Branch Line

Plus – historic stations at Wells

By filmmaker Andrew Linham

OPEN MEETING ALL WELCOME

Talk: Andrew Linham has a lifelong interest in the Cheddar Valley Line having lived alongside it all his life. He particularly remembers Wells and Lodge Hill at Rodney Stoke, which had a station almost identical to the one at Sandford. In the late 50’s he had the foresight to film the whole of the Branch – Witham, through Wells to Yatton – now known as the Strawberry Line.

The evening will appeal to anyone interested in the Strawberry Line, steam railways or local history

So come along at 7.30pm for a friendly, informative and fascinating evening

Free admission: Voluntary Collection: Tea & Coffee break.

Sandford Station Railway Heritage Centre is a delightful, historic attraction on the Strawberry Line. It is a Registered Charity, run entirely by volunteers and has much local appeal. Anyone interested in helping run or maintain the Centre please get in touch.

Contact: www.sandfordstation.co.uk Tel: 01934 843868

2016 AGM

Sandford Station Railway Heritage Centre

Thursday 7 April, 7.30pm

Community Centre, Winscombe, BS25 1JA

AGM and Talk

Quarry Stone and Railways’

Including Sandford’s historic quarry, station and ‘Sentinel’ engine

By author Robin Thornes

OPEN MEETING ALL WELCOME

Sandford Station Railway Heritage Centre is a delightful, historic attraction on the Strawberry Line. It is a Registered Charity, run entirely by volunteers and has much local appeal. Anyone interested in helping run or maintain the Centre please get in touch.

Talk – Lime-stone has been the major industry of the Mendip area over time. The story of its quarries and railways is the subject of leading expert, Robin Thornes, author of ‘Quarry Faces’. Sandford Hill Quarry was the only major rail-linked quarry in west Somerset and one of the most fascinating! From 1948-1963 a ‘Sentinel’ shunting engine worked along its track into Sandford station. An amazing survivor of this iconic fleet of work-horses, has been rescued and restored by SSRHC at Severn Valley Railway Workshop and will be on permanent display at the Heritage Centre when it re-opens at Easter. You will hear about its survival and rescue!

The evening will appeal to anyone interested in railways, local history or who remembers these places of industry and employment.

So come along at 7.30pm for a friendly, informative and fascinating evening

Free admission: Voluntary Collection: Tea & Coffee break.

‘Last Train’ event report

‘Strawberry Special’  Vintage Coach Tour – 7th September 2013

 

On Saturday 7th September over eighty members and visitors enjoyed our unique trip down memory lane by vintage coach commemorating the last passenger train to run on the Strawberry Line. The day triggered many carefree memories of days gone by, travel by steam – some on the Strawberry Line itself and even on that actual last train exactly fifty years ago to the day!

The event was organised in collaboration with Winscombe & Sandford Millennium Green Trust and  Axbridge Sea Cadets to whom we are indebted for adding so much to the event.  Three tours from the Heritage Centre visiting  Winscombe and Axbridge historic stations down the Strawberry Line were scheduled during the day.

Sadly, the advertised 1950’s Bedford OB coach developed an oil leak and was unable to run, but the day was saved by another vintage beauty, the larger Devon General AC.  The first stop was ‘Winscombe Old Station’, now owned and managed by members of the local community as a Millennium Green environment and heritage site.

Vintage coach leaves Sandford

Continue reading “‘Last Train’ event report”

50 Years since last train

‘Strawberry Special’ Saturday 7th September

Unique tour by Vintage Coach to three stations on the historic ‘Strawberry Line’ to mark the 50th anniversary of the closure of the Branch Line.

Coach
The Yatton & Cheddar Valley Railway opened in 1869 and operated for almost 100 years before ‘the Beeching Axe’ officially closed the line to passengers on Monday the 9th September 1963.  There being no Sunday service, the last passenger train actually ran on Saturday 7th September.  To commemorate this historic date, we are organising three trips by vintage coach from Sandford Station Heritage Centre on the very same date fifty years on.  The coach is a beautiful 1950’s, 27 seater, Bedford OB with Duple coachwork and leather upholstery.  It will depart from Sandford at 11am, 1pm and 3pm stopping at Winscombe Old Station Millennium Green and Axbridge stations for a nostalgic look around these attractive sites with archive photo displays and a re-enactment of the 1960′s period. Returning to Sandford for coffee/tea and cake overlooking beautiful countryside from our café tables on the platform – or even in one of the wagons.  You will also have opportunity to look round the Heritage Centre with our stewards.  There will be a charge of £3 to cover Tea & cake.

Thankfully, since 1983, the Yatton to Cheddar section of the former Branch Line has enjoyed a popular, new hey-day for recreation and anyone can also enjoy a walk or cycle-ride (provided they have own bike) along the route either before or after their coach trip.

The event is organised in collaboration with W & S Millennium Green Trust and Axbridge Sea Cadets.

To book a seat…

Complete the booking form below and return to the webmaster at info@sandfordstation.co.uk or post to  N. Brenchley, 67 The Lynch, Winscombe, Somerset BS25 1AR also available on  01934 843868

Limited capacity.  We strongly recommend booking ahead or come early.

Download the booking form here…

http://sandfordstation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SSRHCEvent50YearsWebBookingForm.doc

ABOUT THE BUS:

Our vintage coach on the ‘Strawberry Special’ outings on the 7th September is a beautifully restored 1950’s Bedford OB with Duple body which was bought new by Crosville Motor Services of Chester.
It operated on the Chester to Llandudno route for many years.
When retired From Crosville it spent some time with an operator in mid Wales before being bought by Vista Coachways in Yatton where it ran for 25 years.
It has 27 seats and is affectionately known as Bosworth as it starred in a BBC film in the 70s entitled ‘A bus to Bosworth’.

Milk Traffic

ChurnRestored1New Arrival – GWR 17 Gallon Galvanised Iron Milk Churn

The recently acquired GWR 17 gallon churn was bought at auction in need of attention. We have had it refurbished to enable it to go on display at the Centre.

 

Milk traffic was an important part of any station. Old photographs will often show these distinctive conical milk churns standing on platforms or trolleys awaiting collection. A 17 gallon churn weighed 2.5 cwt. when full! It is not surprising to find that platforms often had a raised ramp for ease of loading full churns into ‘Siphons’ – special goods vans for the purpose with concrete floors to take the weight. Milk contracts would often include a clause that required the farmer or his employees to assist the station staff load full churns and unload the empties.

 

Local Winscombe farmer, Archie Forbes, informs:-

“The wide based shape of these conical churns made them more stable to carry on a horse & cart. The later aluminium straight sided design was less stable and also harder to ‘roll’ but much lighter by comparison and a joy to handle. I remember meeting a man who could pick up a churn in each hand and carry them from his cart to the Dairy some 50 yards away – quite a feat of strength! As for ‘trundling’, this is a skill you never forget and there was much competition between farmers to see who was quickest! (‘Trundling’ or ‘spinning’ also happened at stations between staff). There was a big milk processing plant on the main line at St George’s where milk was collected for transporting in bulk containers and which also made a tanker load of cream daily. These went to the major Co-op depot in London. The Milk Marketing Board came into being in 1933 to stabilise supply of milk to cities. It was a great shame that this was ever scrapped!”

 

A visitor, who called in at SSRHC and wrote in our book, worked at this London Co-op depot at one time and confirmed registering milk received from the Cheddar Valley Line.

 

Margaret Ballard, whose family have farmed at Station Road Farm, opposite Sandford station, for over a century, tells that:-

“Ours was one of a dozen dairy farms in Sandford. The others were – John Garrett, who had a Somerset County Council Farm at Towerhead; Percy Cox, also at Towerhead; Thatchers and Champneys both on Station Road; Victor Watts at Droveway Farm, Nye Road (now Keedwell’s); Hockey’s and another farmer also down Nye Road; Edward Avery at Pool Farm, the thatched building on Greenhill Road, who had a dairy round for local supply. Apart from Edward Avery, all were paid by the Milk Marketing Board and had their churns picked up from stands by the roadside for despatch to London via the Co-op depot at Hewish.”

 

The following is an extract from ‘A Parish and the Railway’ by Peter Knight:

 

‘A section of platform was laid with wooden blocks ‘for milk traffic’. This would have been to receive churns trolleyed onto the platform ready for despatch to the distant milk depot. The churns at that time would have been the conical, man sized seventeen gallon containers which can still sometimes be seen rustilly forcing rhubarb in country gardens. Filled with milk they were heavy. Dropping them onto wooden blocks would have damaged them less than onto stone or concrete. Old-hand porters would demonstrate their skills by trundling them along platforms, leaning them over to one side and spinning them along one-handed on the base rim. Farm boys also liked to demonstrate their strength by lifting a full one single-handed.

One of the major items of traffic from any dairy region was milk and the Cheddar valley line certainly served a dairy farming area. It was customary for farmers to arrange to send their milk to major depots by rail. One of the most important maintained by the Great Western was at Paddington. Several local farmers, including farmer Gadd of Sandford and Frost of Winscombe, despatched their milk thus. Their churns were equipped with brass labels depicting the depot identity (in the local case, Paddington) and other labels showing the farmer’s name and station of origin. The goods staff at the despatching station recorded the amounts that were sent by individual farmers and in due course the railway forwarded the cash that was due to each farmer. The empty churns were returned ready for use the following evening – as long as the location was not too far away.

 

The churns were sent in vehicles of various sizes, depending on the potential load, which were built with semi-open slatted sides. These had telegraph names (something peculiar to railways) of ‘Siphon’. These ranged from Siphon C to Siphon H. All vehicle types had telegraph names. This was to simplify communication by Morse code. The idea of the slatted sides was to allow a stream of air to constantly blow through the vehicle when moving in an attempt to keep the milk cool. These Siphons were designated as ‘brown’ vehicles. This meant that they were fitted with continuous vacuum brakes and could be attached either to passenger trains or milk trains, they were also continuously banked and travelled at speeds similar to passenger express trains. Milk traffic on the line reached its peak just before WW2 and it is recorded that the single Sunday train on the Valley line (up from Wells) would have up to eight large vans attached, all loaded with churns.’

 

The late Pete Knight would have loved our Sandford Station project. He was advisor to both the Cheddar Valley Railway Walk Society and The Winscombe & Sandford Millennium Green where he was a trustee and authority on all things railway and a friend into the bargain. He knew everything about the Cheddar Valley Line and the parish of Winscombe & Sandford and the story of the two from 1869 to 2000 is interwoven in his book ‘A Parish and the Railway’. I can thoroughly recommend reading this informative and thoroughly researched work which you will find in our book list.

Article by SSRHC committee member Lois Brenchley March 2013

Station Master Sam Arrives

 

Station Master Sam 1

Station Master Sam 2

Station Master Sam arrives at Sandford Station in January

Official Opening

Sandford Station was officially opened on 10 June 2011 with a tree planting by Sue Gunn, great grandaughter of Mrs Anna Victoria Yatman who cut original sod of the Cheddar Valley Railway line in 1867 with the ceremonial silver spade pictured.  To mark the opening the ribbon was cut by Gerald Lee, Chief Executive of St Manica Trust.

Continue reading “Official Opening”

Coach arrives !

Sandford Station has aquired a coach to join the open goods wagon on the rails. The coach was successfully installed on Friday 25th March.

The Sentinel Shunter

Shunting Locomotive

Sentinel shunter at Tytherington Quarry, similar to the the locomotive based at Sandford Quarry


This is a sentinel shunter, a sister loco to the one which used to run stone between Sandford Quarry and the station.

Website goes Live !

Welcome to  the new website for Sandford Station Railway Heritage Center. As well as giving general details, opening times and event notifications for the center the intention is for this to be a dynamic site with new stories and details being added on a regular basis. Bookmark us and check back to see what’s new.

Do you have a story about the Strawberry line or Sandford Station, maybe about the Quarry? If so we’d love to hear from you, get in touch via the contact page.